Art therapy is a form of psychotherapy in which creative modalities and art media are integrated as primary modes of treatment. Painting, drawing, sculpture, collage, and other forms of creation are utilized to access the unconscious mind. Art therapy promotes healing and enriches the lives of individuals through active art-making within a safe, contained, and consistent space.
Psychological concepts of psychodynamic theory, psychoanalysis, mindfulness, psycho-education, and cross-cultural awareness are applied and maintained within the therapeutic relationship. The art created throughout therapy is not used as a diagnostic tool, but as an avenue for self-expression. The art therapist guides the client in connecting to their unconscious through a process of navigating and understanding any emerging emotional difficulties.
Art is a powerful form of language. It enables us to express, communicate, and understand deep feelings that words are not always capable of defining.
As sometimes the journey is more important than the destination, the process of creation is emphasized over the final product. Clients are not required to have any prior art experience to benefit from art therapy.
Art therapy is suitable for children, adults, and seniors, and can help with:
- Enhancing social skills
- Reducing and managing stress and anxiety
- Increasing self-esteem and self-awareness
- Improving one’s understanding of themselves
- Developing a connection between the mind and body
- Developing effective coping mechanisms suited to each individual
- Improving approaches to conflict resolution
- Exploring complex emotions (e.g. anxiety, trauma, loss)
- Strengthening self-regulation abilities which are vital for emotional stability
- Allowing individuals to feel more in control over their life
We provide individual art therapy sessions in our Kokoro space for persons of any background, age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, and sexual orientation. We also offer group art therapy sessions for schools, community centres, elderly homes, and companies.